CHANGE/CANCELLATION OF PERMITS
Permit holders are expected to notify OGS Parking Management for any of the following reasons:
- Name Change
- Agency Change
- Cancel Payroll Deduction
- Cancel Permit and Parking
- Change/Add/Delete Carpool Members
Note: You can use your Employee Parking Profile to notify OGS Parking Management of changes to your: phone number, e-mail address, or license plate number(s). (It is not necessary to notify Parking Management for a new vehicle, as long as the license plate number remains the same).
To cancel payroll deduction and relinquish parking privileges, the permit holder must notify our office at least fifteen working days prior to the cancellation by completing and returning a Payroll Deduction Authorization/Cancellation Request (CS 783) form.
Permit holders who cancel parking privileges may in some cases be entitled to a refund. Refunds will only apply if our office is in possession of the hang-tag and cancellation for the period in question. To apply for a refund, complete and return a Parking Permit Refund Request (CS 784) form.
INJURIES, DAMAGE OR THEFT
OGS Parking Management is not responsible for acts of vandalism or theft on any vehicle. It is up to the owner of the vehicle to make sure that the vehicle is properly locked. It is suggested that valuable personal items be secured in locked trunks or not left in the vehicle.
If an employee is injured, or in the event of damages or theft, in a state-operated parking facility, the employee must report the details of the incident to the parking lot attendant as soon as possible and submit an Internal Report of Damages, Theft and/or Injury (CS 708) form. The State Police should be called if there is no attendant on duty.
The Office of General Services operates several parking areas in and around the Empire State Plaza in downtown Albany, New York. For additional information, please visit Parking Information for Visitors.
PERIPHERAL PERMIT PARKING BUS SERVICE
Permit holders and carpool members who park in peripheral lots, and in certain downtown Albany surface lots, will be provided with shuttle bus service to downtown Albany work locations. A schedule is posted on the main page. OGS reserves the right to suspend or modify shuttle bus service in the case of an emergency. A parking attendant may refuse bus service to anyone who does not possess or display a valid OGS parking permit for the respective lot.
The following rules apply to parking at all OGS parking facilities:
- Permit holders must park in their assigned lot, within the striped spaces, unless directed otherwise by the parking attendant.
- Parking permits are non-transferable.
- Permit holders must obey any directions issued by the parking lot attendants.
- Parking in the following areas is prohibited unless specifically authorized:
- Reserved or medical spaces;
- Lawns, in front of driveways or doorways, or within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;
- Designated areas that may interfere with construction activities; and
- Any other area signed for 'No Parking' or is so indicated by a parking attendant.
- Permit holders must obey all traffic signs, including posted speed limits, at all times.
- Accidents and injuries must be reported immediately to a parking lot attendant or the State Police.
- State ID cards are required for entry into the Empire State Plaza garage.
- Parking permit hang-tags must be displayed according to instructions while entering the parking facility and while the vehicle is parked. Any vehicle without a parking permit hang-tag will be denied entry to the lot.
- Overnight parking is prohibited unless authorized by OGS Parking Management.
- If it is determined that a parking permit is not being used by the holder of record, the permit will be cancelled and/or reassigned.
- In the event of an emergency, OGS Parking Management can change or suspend all rules.
SUSPENSION OF PARKING PRIVILEGES
Citations will be issued against registered vehicles found in violation of any rules according to the following guidelines:
- Parking permit holders who receive two (2) citations for parking violations within a three (3) month period shall have their parking privileges suspended for a period not to exceed 30 calendar days.
- If within three (3) months for the thirty day suspension a permit holder receives one more citation, they will be suspended for sixty (60) days.
- If a parking permit holder receives an additional violation within six months of the last suspension, they will be suspended for one (1) year.
- Any suspension, expect in the case of vehicles found displaying an altered hang tag, will begin three days after service of a notice suspension.
- Persons found in violation of suspension will have their vehicle towed from the parking facility immediately, at the owner's expense.
- Any person subject to a third suspension within an 18-month period shall be considered a habitual violator and will be suspended for 60 days for the third suspension and subsequent suspensions within the 18-month period.
- Suspended permit holders remain subject to prevailing fees during their suspension.
If a parked vehicle is found displaying an altered hang-tag, the permit holder will have their parking privileges suspended for a period of 60 days, beginning on the day the vehicle is found in violation. An altered parking permit is defined as any authorized parking permit which has been duplicated, or a portion of which has been altered, erased, obliterated, removed or covered to conceal its original design and purpose.
TOWING OF VEHICLES
A vehicle may be removed to a garage or automobile holding lot/area under the following circumstances:
- When a vehicle obstructing traffic is found unattended.
- When a vehicle is found parking displaying an altered parking permit.
- When a vehicle is under suspension and found in violation of such suspension.
- When a vehicle is found parked in a parking facility other than the one for which it has a valid permit without prior approval from OGS Parking Management.
- When a parking permit hang-tag is not displayed.
Prior to being towed, a vehicle may be inventoried. A list of the vehicle contents will be made and countersigned by the truck operator and an OGS official. OGS Parking Management reserves the right to enter a vehicle during the towing process to confiscate an altered, expired, duplicated or stolen/missing hang-tag. The owner of the vehicle will be charged for its removal and storage, payable before the vehicle is released.
OGS Parking Management
Room 144, Concourse
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12242